In accordance to the Warehousing (Development & Regulation) Act, 2007 and the Warehousing (Development & Regulation) of Warehouse Registration Rules, 2017, any person commencing or carrying on the warehousing business and intending to issue Negotiable Warehouse Receipts (NWRs) has to get the warehouse registered with the Warehousing Development & Regulatory Authority (WDRA). Amendments to the Rules and Regulations and the relevant circulars on insurance and guidelines on empanelment of inspection agencies and inspection of warehouses are also available on the Authority’s website.
Our team at CA on Web is available at your service and will help you to obtain the Online Warehouse Registration in India by complying all the requirements of documents involved in the registration process. All you need is to prepare the documents and our team of experts will handle the cumbersome registration process for your Warehouse Business in India.
How to apply?
- The applicant warehouse may make an application to the Authority for registration of its warehouse in the prescribed Form available on the website of the Authority.
- A person desirous of carrying on the business of warehousing in more than one warehouse may submit only one application for registration in respect of all the warehouses.
Terms of registration –
- As soon as registration certificate is received, the warehouseman shall display the certificate and keep it pasted until suspended or revoked, in a conspicuous place in the principal place of its business.
- The certificate of registration shall not be transferable in nature.
- The inspection or examination of the warehouse registered under the Act at any time without giving prior notice, the books, records, papers, and accounts etc. relating thereto by the Authority or its authorized representative.
Impact of GST
According to the GST Act, all warehouseman or godown owners or any other place used for storage of goods and every transporter, irrespective of whether they have GST registration are required to maintain records related to consigner, consignee and other relevant details of the goods stored or transported.
Thus, if the applicability of GST registration occurs on any godown, warehouse or transport, they are required to register themselves under GST by filing Form GST ENR-01. On filing and verification of the GST registration application form for unregistered godown, warehouse or transporter, a unique enrollment number would be provided to the godown or warehouse or transporter.
All warehouse or godown owners and/or operators are required to maintain books of accounts with respect to the period for which particular goods remain in the warehouse, including all the matters relating to dispatch, receipt, movement, and disposal of such goods. Further, a warehouse or godown owner or operator is required to store the goods in a manner that they can be identified item wise and owner wise and further it is also required to facilitate any physical verification by the proper officer on demand.