An electric waybill is required for movement of goods. For any movement of goods by a registered person for the value of more than Rs.50,000 e-way bill is mandatory. The e-way bill can be generated on the GST portal. This is required for interstate and intrastate both. Generation of the e-way bill is compulsory from 1st Feb 2018.
Who is required to generate E-way bill or when should an e-way bill issue?
- Registered person when there is movement of goods
In relation to the supply like normal sale activity
In relation to return of sale, transfer from one branch to another
Inward supply from an unregistered person
- Unregistered Person making movement of goods
Note: When a supply is made by an unregisterd person to a registered person, the party receiving goods will have to fulfill the compliances.
- Transporter also needs to generate e-way bill if the supplier has not generated the e-way bill.
When is e-way bill not required?
- Transporting goods within the same state for distance less than10 km from the place of business of transporter to the person receiving goods or from the place of a supplier to the place of the transporter.
- The mode of transport is non-motor vehicle
- Goods transported from port, airport, air cargo complex or land customs station to Inland Container Depot (ICD) or Container Freight Station (CFS) for clearance by Customs.
- Transport of specified goods
Documents required for e-way bill
- Invoice/ Bill of Supply/ Challan related to the consignment of goods.
- Transport by road – Transporter ID or Vehicle number.
- Transport by rail, air, or ship – Transporter ID, Transport document number, and date on the document.
Validity of e-way bill
The date is computed from the time of generation of the e-way bill.
|Distance||Validity of EWB|
|Less Than 100 Km||1 Day|
|For every additional 100 Kms or part thereof||additional 1 Day|
Cancellation of e-way bill
E-way bill can be canceled if goods are either not transported or goods transported are not as per the details filled up in the e-way bill.
However e-way bill cannot be canceled if it has been verified in transit.
States notifying the e-way bill
States that have notified e-Way bill for mandatory inter-state transport of goods:
Rest of the 25 States and 7 Union territories have joined the e-Way Bill league on trial Basis till 31st January 2018.
Starting from 1st February 2018, all the registered suppliers or the transporters/ recipients as the case may be belonging to these 25 States and 7 Union territories must compulsorily generate e-Way Bill for Inter-State movement of goods.
13 States have agreed to implement e-Way Bills for Intra-State movement of Goods with effect from 1st February 2018. These are:
- Andhra Pradesh,
- Arunachal Pradesh,
- Tamil Nadu,
- Uttar Pradesh and