FSSAI act, 2006 lays down the guidelines for the registration of any food business in India. In addition to FSSAI Registration guidelines, it also incorporates the compliance procedure which needs to be followed in designing FSSAI logo.
FSSAI logo creates a unique impression in the minds of the potential customers in terms of hygienic environment & quality of the food. It is mandatory for every food related business to get a 14-digit FSSAI Registration number & get it imprinted on the outer packaging of the product. To overcome adulteration in the product and make food licensing a much transparent process, FSSAI license has been made compulsory.
What is FSSAI Logo?
FSSAI logo is more like a design which signifies the valid license of a Food business operator (FBO). The 14-digit FSSAI license is to be included in the FSSAI logo design.
FSSAI logo identification can be done by locating the FSSAI license number imprinted right next to its logo on food products. FSSAI License number is a 14-digit unique identification number assigned by FSSAI in order to designate food items/ food business as compliant with food safety and healthy food handling practices.
It is statutory as well as safe practice to get an FSSAI product approval and get it certified as safe for consumption with the logo and the license number. Getting the FSSAI license number is pivotal for food businesses. Here are some important instructions while applying for the food license.
FSSAI Logo: Identification & License number
FSSAI logo identification is very simple to do. FSSAI issues the FSSAI License number is a 14-digit number in order to mark the specific food items/ food business as compliant with food safety and healthy food handling practices. Even nowadays the introduction of various food aggregators like Swiggy, Zomato, and food panda, etc, are also focusing on the importance of obtaining food license numbers. The restaurant which has an FSSAI license number can only be a partner with these food aggregating apps. There is strict action on the restaurants who are selling food without a license of FSSAI.
GUIDELINES FOR USING FSSAI LOGO
1. Use of logo without any permission
Conference, Functions, Events, Campaigns, Seminars, directly organized by the State / Union Territory (UT) Governments will allow the use of FSSAI Logo.
Events other than the ones mentioned above will require a specific prior approval from FSSAI.
The logo can be used as per FSSAI’s Voluntary/ Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Participation Guidelines for such events.
2. Use of logo for Events & other Publications
Permission to use the logo for events other than those organized by the FSSAI, States and Union Territories would be granted based on the following factors:
- Organizer’s track record/ profile
- Type and Significance of the event
- Type of delegation & participants involved.
[Note: The merits for each of the factors mentioned above will be significant in the granting the request of using/publishing the FSSAI logo on websites as well as portals]
3. Use of logo for programmes on Electronic Media
The requests for using the FSSAI logo in shows on electronic media, such as quiz competitions, food shows etc. will be considered based on the following factors:
- Type of Show.
- The profile of the Show’s Producer.
- Target Audience of the particular show.
- The content being put out in the show & its focus on food nutrition.
- Extent to which the show can publicize deploying food safety and nutrition practices.
4. Procedure for grant of permission to use FSSAI logo.
The requests for the use of the logo should be sent to the main FSSAI Office viz. FDA Bhavan, Kotla Road, New Delhi in a given format.
FSSAI has the authority to request any additional details before they approve the request for the FSSAI logo.
5. There shall be no financial commitment/liability attached to the FSSAI while agreeing to allow the use of FSSAI and/or its initiatives logos.
6. Permission granted will be subject to the following conditions.
- FSSAI holds the right to withdraw permission for use of its logo by giving appropriate notice.
- FSSAI also holds the right to view the logo that is being used by the organization before its finalization.
7. Once the permission is granted for the FSSAI logo, it must be displayed distinctly in the backdrop.
8. FSSAI will not participate in any disputes arising out of copyright violation by the event organizers.
9. If permission to use the logo is granted, it will not give the organizers the right to have discussions to collect money in any form in the name of FSSAI.
10. The use of the logo if permitted, should not be used to indicate in any form that FSSAI endorses any food product/ food business, it should just mean to indicate that food business has been certified by FSSAI as having complied to their regulations and guidelines for using the logo.
11. FSSAI reserves the right to impose additional conditions for the usage of FSSAI logo.
Read More: How to Renew your Food License?
Chartered Accountant by profession, CA Sanket Agarwal has an experience of above11 years in Cross Border compliance , Import Export , International Taxation & is a passionate content creator.