Every taxpayer registered under Goods & Service Tax is required to file an annual return in the form of GSTR-9. It is required to be filed for every financial year on or before 31st December in the subsequent fiscal year. It is the consolidation of all the returns filed related to that financial year.
Types of returns under Form GSTR-9
GSTR-9 – Is to be filed by every regular taxpayer who has filed GSTR-3b and GSTR-1.
GSTR- 9A – Is to be filed by taxpayers who are registered under composition scheme.
GSTR- 9B – Is to be filed by e-commerce operators who have filed GSTR-8.
GSTR- 9C – Is to be filed by taxpayers whose turnover during the respective financial year
exceeds 2 Crore.
Annual return form GSTR-9 is bifurcated in six parts, which are discussed hereunder:
Part 1. Basic Details of taxpayers- Following details under this part is to be provided:
- Financial year (which is pertaining to annual return)
- GSTIN (15 Digit unique pan based identification number)
- Legal Name, and
- Trade Name
Part 2. Details of Outward and Inward supplies Declared during the respective financial year in the various returns filed-
- Following details of Outward Supplies are to be provided:
- Taxable Supplies
- Non Taxable Supplies ( i.e zero-rated and nil rated supplies )
Note: It is important to note that only supplies that are declared in GSTR-1 and GSTR -3b are to be shown in this part. If details are not shown in returns, the same is to be declared in Part-5.
Part 3. Details of all the input tax credit that has been availed and reversed during the financial year-
- Following details of Input Tax credit availed and reversed are to be provided:
- Details of input tax credit that has been availed through GSTR-3B during the financial year
- Details of Transitional credit availed through TRANS-I and TRANS-II
- Details of Input tax credit reversed and ineligible credit as per rules 37,39,42,43 and Section 17(5).
- Details of Transitional credit reversed.
Part 4. Details of Tax liability paid during the financial year.
Payment made under GSTR-3b and Table 6-A are to be provided here
Part-5. Details of the transaction pertaining to respective financial year but declared in the returns of April to September of following year or date of filing annual return whichever is earlier:
- Following details regarding such transactions are to be provided:
- Details of Outward and Inward Supplies (attracting reverse charge) declared through amendments.
- Details of Input tax credit availed for the respective financial year
- Details of reversal of Input tax credit reversed for the respective financial year
- Taxes paid for the respective financial year.
Part-6. Details of other information to be provided (Not covered in above-mentioned Parts)
- Details of refund received/sanctioned/rejected.
- The demand for the tax assessed by departments
- Outward Supplies received from composition dealers
- Hsn wise summary of Outward Supplies
- Late Fees payable or paid for the financial year.
The due date for filing of annual return form GSTR-9
Due date is on 31st December of the following year
(CBIC has extended the date for the financial year 2017-18 to 31st March 2019.)